Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smirnov

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2002
AU
Hello everybody!
I am looking for a HP server and i was wondering if anyone can recommend one based on the things i want.
I need 3 servers (1 SQL database, 2 webservers all win2k)
- rack mounted
- dual processors
- multiple RAID HDDs
- dual network cards
- redundant power supplies
The rest is up to you!!! Just a model number would be awesome thanks!!!
-scott...:)

Hello there.
I have been an Exchange Admin for 5 years now. We have used HP LH Pro's which are now outdated. While we had them they caused very little problems hardware wise. Exchange is another issue altogether. We just upgraded to IBM 6000R's. They suck. Don't buy them. I wouldn't suggest looking at them. Others in my field throughout our company seems to favor Compac's. Cheaper and more reliable. We wanted that but politics. Anyhow, that's my 2.5 cents. Good luck.
JB

I've been using the 1000, 2000, and 3000 series for about four months now and like them all. That said, I don't like the lack of expandability of the 1000's and the 3000's are huge. The 2000's are only 2U, can handle up to three PCI cards, and other than well-known SCSI backplane issues perform well. So, a good general use configurable server is the 2000, the 1000 is great if its standard configuration works for you and you need to stack a lot in little space, and the 3000 is good if you need to populate huge amounts of drive space.

By one of the HP (Compaq) ProLiant DL380 2U servers. It's best in its class. Runs rings around the former HP branded 2U server. Has everything you mention plus online spare memory better management, etc.

I quite like the 2U HP options. Coupled with the 1,2 or 4M RAID controllers and an external disk enclosure like the SC10, you get expandability at relatively low cost. We also run the LH3000 pedestal series, but I find these clunky and over engineered for the amount of disk space that they offer (the only benefit they seem to offer is that you can race them round your server room if you are bored)

If you need a big bad SQL Server the LH6000r is nice, just stick a fibre channel controller like the SM60 and a couple of SC10s on it and away you go ! Ian

"IF" is not a word it's a way of life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back