Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Reboots By Itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

circulent

MIS
Dec 6, 2006
US
Ive got a Win2003 SBS box that reboots itself several times a day. I've checked the 'Scheduled Tasks' and there are no jobs, and there doesn;t seem to be any red flags in the event log that would cause these reboots.

Any ideas why this is happenning?

Thanks

Have you checked your event logs? Have you made it your FSMO master domain controller? SBS MUST be setup to be your FSMO master domain controller within 2 weeks of installation or it will automatically reboot itself every hour or so.

You might also want to check if there are any power issues. I have seen a bad UPS cause this behavior in the past.

One more smaller issue to check -- make sure that Recovery option for your Services are not set to Restart the Computer if the service fails to load. That could cause reboots, too.

I am having the same trouble, random reboots once or twice a day. It seems to have started 2 weeks ago. There are no event logs relating to the cause of the reboot in my case.

Ive checked my fsmo roles. For RID,PID and Infrastructure go into ADUC, right click on your domain and select operations masters. The 3 tabs there tell you whats holding those roles.

For the schema master see
If you dont have the AD Schema MMC addin, try
As far as services set to auto-restart the server, hit admin tools > services and look at the properties window in the recovery tab for each one

I've heard of this happening to some other admins, that they have the servers hooked to a WSUS, and after each "update", the server will reboot. Check your automatic updates settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back