Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Rack Temperature - Placement - Etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

bence8810

IS-IT--Management
Jul 20, 2005
AE
Hi All,

I am sure this isnt the appropriate place to post this, but I found nothing better for my question.

I am new to Racks, and I am tasked to move one of our office's servers in a rack.

The problem is that in this office the servers are in a common area, where people walk by, etc. The servers were just below a desk, and they got really dusty all the time, etc.

We purchased a rack, a 42U high one with 800x960 dimensions. All the 4 servers, switches, monitor and other minor equipment fit nicely.

The rooms temperature is controlled by an air-conditioner, and is constantly at 20celsius, however as the rack is closed, the temperature inside goes to 30-32celsius. It has a fan on the top, with a temp-sensor, and I set it to start spinning at 25Celsius, which means its constantly spinning, as the temperature is above that.

What shall I do? If I open the cabinet, the temperature will drop, but again, It will start to dust up, etc.

Thanks, any suggestions are welcome,

Ben

Computer equipment in general are big dust inhalers and usually the only thing you can do to stop this is to make sure that your environment is not dusty.

A temperature controlled air conditioned room should not contain that much dust that the computer equipment gets clogged up possibly leading to hardware failure. Most new racks do not have solid doors, they are usually covered in vent holes to allow the air to circulate (and vent holes are usually in the roof of the rack as well)

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"

Hi

Yes, there are some vent holes on the top and bottom, and the fan is constantly on, blowing the air through the holes on the top, and sucking it from the bottom I imagine. However, the temperature in the rack is still 30Celsius with the fan functioning. Room is 19-20 currently.

The dust is there because its a common area where people walk by on their way to the smoking room, etc. The office is small, and cannot afford a designated server room.

Is there something wrong perhaps with the fans? Its a brand new rack, but whats strange to me is that the fan on the top is not exactly attached to the roof of the rack, but about 5cm below that. Above the fan there are vent-holes cut for letting the air out, but as the fan is not directly attached to the top, I guess the air can circulate back to the rack?

Thanks for any hints,
Ben

Your problem is because it is in a common area. The room temperature is controlled as a whole. The whole area needs to raise to a defined temperature before the air conditioner kicks in. Which means the general temperature around the server rack will be noticeably hotter, as that is most likely the largest creater of heat.

The servers are going to put out, relatively, a lot of heat and in a confined space (the rack). Unless you have dedicated cooling being piped directly into the rack, you are going to have heat issues. Granted you could drop the temp in the office drastically or move the thermostat next to the rack, but I doubt the people working there would appreciate it. Especially when the air conditioner is still running during the winter months, if you live in a colder climate.

The normal flow of air in a server rack is front to back and bottom up. You could look into moving some air vents around so that the air being pushed into the office is directed towards the rack, but that could kill your servers when the heat gets turned on for the winter. Another not so elegant thing to try would be to put a fan facing the front of the rack...if there is room. That might help circulate air through the rack.

You're in a tough spot. Dedicated environmental controls is the only good solution. Everything else is marginal help at best.

Good Luck

Hi

Thanks for your answer. I start to think that there is nothing better I can do at this point, unless I get a Mobile Air Conditioner which goes on the roof of the rack. As this is unlikely, I will end up probably taking the front door off, and live with the dusted up server, and cleaning them regularly.

Thanks for your inputs again, they were very helpful,

Best,

Ben

If you are going to take that approach, removing both front and rear doors would be more applicable to allow the air to circulate. Don't forget, the air may be sucked in via the front of the machines but ultimately the air is removed via the rear of the machines. Removing both doors would allow proper air flow.

"Insert funny comment in here!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back