Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SERVER RACK QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

maczen

Instructor
Apr 12, 2008
US
OK.. Got the rack in and she is nice! Huge improvement over the Skeletek rack! I have a question pertaining to mounting the equipment!

First, I have shelves for pretty much everything I have at the moment.. (Stacked some of the equipment).. I am wondering if I should even bother with mounting everything or if just stacking it all on the shelves would be sufficient...

Second, it appears as if the standard rack screw is 10-32 3/4 in long. I have ordered some and am waiting on them to arrive. My question here is will these thinner screws prove sufficient to mount my Cisco gear in the rack like the thicker screws used in my 2 post??? They just seem to be awfully fragile but maybe not.

Finally, I bought a 15in rack mount LCD! Says it works great and looks like a good seller.. Made an offer of $30 and they took it.. Cost me $45 after shipping!

All in all I am very pleased with the rack! My wife said it's an eyesore but I am confident that she will eventually learn to appreciate it! LoL

Really curious about the screws.. Thanks guys!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

I don't think you'll have an issue with the screws. Personally, I'd try and rack everything I could, just in case you need to pull something out, Murphy's law it will be the bottom piece in a stack.

You could just put a sheet over the rack or start decorating it for the seasons just to help it not be such an eyesore.

LoL.. Not a bad idea! I will totally geek out and instead of an x-mas tree we will have an x-mas rack with flashy lights and the whooshing sound of electronically induced wind...

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Billy,

As far as "racking" your stuff, the shelves are great as long as they get enough airflow between them, since it is in an enclosed rack, I would want more than usual :)

If you are looking for "rack" hardware, I needed those square conectors on the enclosed racks I got from Cabletron as well as the SKB rack I got on Ebay, I found them at ZZounds - this is a music shop but they sell those SKB rack mount cases for DJs and sound crews!!!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Thanks CiscoG.. They have the 10-32 .75 (3/4in) screws for my rack for about the same cost as on eBay which is pretty good! Bookmarked them!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back