Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server problems this morning? It may be your APC Battery Backup.... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dollie;

Thanks for the info! You hit it dead on..... And a Star for you!

I wasted 27 hours over the course of two days going through proposed solution after proposed solution only to end up where I started.

You would think that APC would at least send out an advisory to their registered clients. I am really ticked off!

Mike, The IT Guy. [morning]

Life is too short to drink warm beer....

Very interesting to you both: I also had directory problems after the APC failed. User Document *.tmp files kept piling up. Never had this problem before when the server went down after a long power outage. Had to change directory permissions to admin level.

What were your experiences (briefly) if you will?

Best regards, Dave Y

NOW they tell me! I just got in to work and VOILA! I have an e-mail from them telling me that:

*Users of version 6.x Must Upgrade to version 7.x due to JRE retirement*

Failure to update your server software immediately may result in difficulty booting and/or accessing the control panel on your Windows server. Affected servers will not gracefully shut down due to power events.

I'd say that's putting it lightly. How about "also impairs all applications running on the server including Powerchute, antivirus, firewall and other third party software"?

I'm sooo glad they gave us almost 3 weeks to figure it out for ourselves before sending out an official notice!

/grumble grumble grumble

I had this problem as well. I also run the client software on our workstations and a couple of those would not start on July 28th. After hours of trouble-shooting and failed repair attempts I traced it to the PowerChute software and upgraded all copies on our network. It caused a number of seemingly unrelated issues including log-on issues, control panel items that wouldn't open, Symantec AV disabled etc. I notified APC tech support of the problem on 8/1 and encouraged them to update the tech bulletin and be more specific about the possible issues. I agree that "not gracefully shutting down" is a huge understatement. I have always been impressed with their technical support but was very disappointed with the handling of this issue. They really didn't even begin to admit the scope of the problem until reboots required by Microsoft's monthly updates caused more widespread problems.

I was ready to spit nails on this one. I was in the process of upgrading the last five servers to 1000Bt by installing new NICs. The last one (out of five) was the one with the APC software installed which had not been rebooted since before 7/27.

I shut it down, swapped the NICs, powered back up and the nightmare began that would last for 48 hours. Things affected:

1. NAVCE would not load proerly.
2. Network properties would not open and the NIC was not configureed properly. Of course.
3. The installer would not run, Error 1607.
4. Could not Un-install anything either.
5. Could not stop and restart some services (Backup Exec).
6. Could not access the Internet (likely related to #2).
7. SQL Server was having a stroke trying to connect to DBs on other boxes. (Again, #2).
8. GoldMine couldn't find the Borland DB Engine as it's on a network share (#2).
9. The Event log would log NOTHING. No entries at all.

Most of the advice I got was to reinstall the installer. No Good. 'Re-install SP4.' Won't run unless the installer is working. I ended up restoring the last full backup of the system drive and the system state and then popping the old NIC back in which at least gave me the correct network settings and all of the items that failed because of #2 worked again, at least from the user persepctive.

Once I read Dollie's post, I came in late at night, rebooted to safe mode, disabled the APC services and I was back to where I was before I tried something real simple like swapping NICs.

Sometimes I think I'd be better off driving a truck.

Mike, The IT Guy.

Life is too short to drink warm beer....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back