Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

server performance tuning

Status
Not open for further replies.

leahyj

MIS
May 5, 2004
US
Hi,

I have a couple of related questions, one more specific and the other less specific.

Less Specific:

Does anyone change the default settings of IIS 6.0 to improve ASP performance?

More Specific:

I am pulling an image from an Access database ole object field and displaying it on the screen using this method, "Response.BinaryWrite oRs("olepic1").GetChunk(oRs("olepic1").ActualSize)"

Is there a way to manipulate the byte size of the jpeg before it displays, so that it displays faster?

Thanks

Do you mean other than just resizing the image or increasing the compression on the jpeg?

You could try setting up a loop that gets smaller chunks instead of the entire thing at once, writing out the smaller chunks and doing a response.flush inside the loop... i doubt this would make much difference though unless the images are really quite large.

Sheco,

I like the first suggestion.

How do I go about increasing the compression of the jpeg?

Thanks.

If you open up your JPEG in an image editing software (example:The Gimp) you should be able to set the compression level when you go to save it.

If it were me I would fiddle around with this and see how much I could increase the compression before the image quality goes down the tube. Then I would look for an ActiveX/COM object that could do the compression and write a little VBS file that goes along and compresses all my existing images. Finally I would investigate ideas for compressing new images as they are added to my database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back