Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server only showing 6GB when I have a RAID installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlsclan

Technical User
Jul 17, 2007
Hi there,
i have a COMPAQ DL 380 G2 and have just got this up and working. however when I look in my computer it thinks there is only 6GB on my hard drive. There are 4 16GB disks in there configured as a RAID2, any ideas what do??
many thanks.

I didn't know you could do RAID2 on 4 drives. I thought you needed a minimum of 10 or so. Are you sure that is what you have? What array controller are you using? I don't even remember a RAID2 option on any of ours.

Are you sure it is configured to RAID 2?

RAID 2:
This was used with very large computers. Special (expensive) disks and a special controller are needed to use RAID Level 2. The data is distributed at the bit-level (all other levels use byte-level actions). Special calculations are done. Data is split up into static sequences of bits. 8 data bits and 2 parity bits are put together. Then a Hamming code is calculated. The fragments of the Hamming code are then distributed over the different disks.

RAID 2 needs at least 10 disks to work.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"

good question!
not sure...i think i am going to have to start again!

RAID 5 should work for what it seems you intend to do. Is it a 6i controller, or 5i?

Burt

I also want to add that I have not seen RAID 2 or 4 (or 0 or 1 for that matter, separately anyway) in a LONG time---all RAID 5 and RAID 10 (or 1+0, commonly called), but mostly RAID 5.

Burt

Thinking about it, I have not seen 16Gb disks before either. HP/Compaq Proliant disks usually go as follows:

9.1Gb
18.2Gb
32.4Gb
72.8Gb
145.6Gb etc...

Can you confirm what disks you are using as well?

Of course, it should be 36.4Gb not 32.4Gb :)

All is OK now, as this has been sortd! thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back