Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server on Local PC "Connection Failed"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghh3rd

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2002
US
I installed SQL Server 2000 on my PC and created a development database. After about a week, I couldn't open the database, I was getting the "Connection Failed, check SQL server registration properties" error. I reinstalled Sequel 2000, started the database over, and all was well for about two weeks.

The same thing happened when I tried to open the database this morning. Other servers are available for me to open, but the server on my PC isn't.

Does anyone know what's wrong? Anyone know how I can salvage my database?

Thanks,

Randy

Are you running the MSDE or the SQL Server version?

Check the Network Utility and set MultiProtocol.
Under the Alias Tab set the Server Name and the Network Library to Tcp/IP.

What version of MDAC do you have?

Is it the evaluation copy? It sounds like your time ran out on it.

If it's not the evaluation copy, did you input your license(s) information? Did you register it online?

As an aside:
Read MS's EULA (End User License Agreement), it can be pretty scary. Basically what it says is that Microsoft can access your computer to check that the programs you are running meet DECA (in other words are licensed to you and not to someone else). If one or more are found to violate DECA, MS has the right to 'disable it'. (This ONLY applies to MS products). Put a firewall on your computer and when you go online you will right away see connections from your computer to Microsoft, that's your computer's MS products 'calling home' to check ownership/DECA.

-SQLBill

Thanks for the information - is it possible to salvage my database so I can open it from a different server?

Thats a bit tricky since your instance is not running.
But you can try.

1. Copy the .MDF file to the server you want.
2. Create a new blank database name on the server you want
3. Use sp_attach_db to attach the database on the server level. You cant do it from the client (look up the syntax in books online).
4. You have to clean up the security users after you atach it.

Let me know if you need any further help.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back