Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

server object

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightCoder

Programmer
Jan 30, 2001
GB
i am going to create an web application that logs in a user.

When a user does login i want to create some kind of object at the server so that i can use it to check against it if the same users try to login again using another pc or by a new browser window.

Is this possible in ASP?

Any hints on where to look or possible code will be most welcome.

The bottom line is that i don't want a user to have multiple access to the site at any one time.

Thanks in Advance,
KnightCoder

It's more than possible. It's fairly easy. However, before you embark on this mission, consider this.

There's a very grey area on the subject of servers knowing when visitors "Close" the browser windows. Currently, there is no method in ASP to determine this. The Session for that visitor will stay active until it times out.

Therefore, I think the first obstacle you will want to overcome will be what to do if your user inadvertantly closes the browser window (without logging off) and wants to come back in. That's going to be the tricky part.

With all of that aside, and back to your initial question, how to you envision authenticating users into the application. Will you be setting up permissions in IIS and using Windows Authentication, or will you maintain a database table of users and have ASP authenticate each user by examining that table at login (most common method).

TW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back