Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server not "seeing" PCs on WIndows network

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2002
US
Hello everyone, it is me again...

I have something else going on which I am not sure if it is related to my prior posting. My network consist of two Windows 2003 servers and about a dozen PCs. One server registers find in WINS and can see all PCs using the Network neighborhood window, the other server (which has 2 NICs for redundancy) only registers one of the Nics in WINS and does not see any of the PCs in network neighborhood; I will call these last server server 2. Server one can see all PCs but cannot see server two in network neighborhood.... very strange! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Do both servers point to the same DNS & WINS servers? They should be.

Is the multihomed machine a domain controller. If yes then this is a bad idea.

Can the 'missing' server be pinged by name - i.e. PING SERVER2 - does this resolve to an IP address?

Is there a single DNS & WINS server on your network or are there more than one? If so how do they replicate their changes? Are they AD integrated?

And to be totally honest, unless you have legacy equipent then WINS is pretty well redundant and should'nt need to be used. I don't tend to deploy WINS on new networks unless there's a real need for it. It may be clouding the real issue in hand....

If the second NIC is just to a DMZ or something and doens't offer any "Windows" Services, just uncheck everything except TCP/IP on your NIC properties on the second NIC. What's probably happening is it is registering its NetBIOS name out the secondary NIC instead of the first. Common problem.

Also agree that if this is a DC, dual-homing is definitely not a good idea. I actually wouldn't do it at all, unless absolutely necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back