Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Server Not Found"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jengo

Programmer
Apr 17, 2000
US
I am receiving this error "Server Not Found", and I can't connect to any internet sites. I tried NetZero and AOL with no success. I also tried IE and Netscape, with no change. Why can't I connect to any sites?

It sounds as if your internet connection is not set up properly.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am assuming that this is at home and you are using a modem.&nbsp;&nbsp;What are you using as your internet servcie providor.&nbsp;&nbsp;That has to be working correctely before you can see any webpages.&nbsp;&nbsp;Their are some simple things you can try to trouble shoot.&nbsp;&nbsp;Assuming your using 95 or 98 or 2000, go to start-&gt;run-&gt;type in winipcfg, if the numbers given there are mostly zereos you have a problem with your internet servie provider.&nbsp;&nbsp;If their is a valid ip address ex. 11.11.33.33 then try this.&nbsp;&nbsp;start-&gt;run-&gt;command-&gt;ping the ip address that was in the last program if it is succesful it will say &quot;reply from xx.xx.xx.xx&quot;.&nbsp;&nbsp;If that works you just have to set up ie5 to work correctely. if it doesn't contact your ISP or something could be wrong with your modem.&nbsp;&nbsp;To set up the connection go to start-&gt;programs-&gt;accesories-&gt;get on the internet.&nbsp;&nbsp;And just follow the directions.&nbsp;&nbsp;That is sort of a quick and easy way to do it. The more detailed settings are in ie5 under tools-&gt;internet options-&gt;connection and you will have to look up those settings.&nbsp;&nbsp;The tests i said assume that you have loaded all the software for your ISP.&nbsp;&nbsp;hope this helps<br><br> <p>moses<br><a href=mailto:tmoses@iname.com>tmoses@iname.com</a><br><a href= my site</a><br> "We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the<br>
Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is<br>
not true." <br>
--Robert Wilensky, University of California <br>
<br>
<br>

It might be that your winsock is corupted you might have to reinstall tcp/ip, go to network in control panel, remove all protocols but leave your modem installed, dont remove the adapter. restart and reconfigure, but before you do that try to go to 64.58.76.176 if that brings up yahoo then you have a problem with your DNS, and you will have to specify the DNS for your DailUp.

PS In the words of Kevin Spacy &quot;I RULE&quot;!!!

It sounds like network settings are incorrect. If you tried aol this could cause even more problems, if you ran thier disk. You could however, rerun your aol disk and if it won,t connect you can call them and let their tech walk you through the settings on the phone as there are to many settings to list without looking at your specific settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back