Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Move-need good plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsM0pey

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2009
US
Hello,
I've been tasked with moving servers from one location to another. I've only been with this company for two weeks now so this project is more than daunting right now! Does anyone have a write-up of a plan they've used in the past or a link to a good website? I sure would appreciate it.

Other than "shutdown, un-rack, pack, load, unload, unpack, re-rack, powerup, reconfigure," I think any move plan is going to be extremely dependent on your organization's needs--for example, can you take the whole thing down for the weekend and come back up Monday morning, or do you have a draconian SLA that says you have to do this kind of thing on the second new moon of a month, the work must be performed by an unmarried man with red hair, and the maximum allowed downtime is four minutes?

In short, there's no cookbook approach to this, so what exactly are you looking for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back