Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Memory for CR9

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdavis24

Programmer
Aug 9, 2001
US
We are trying to maintain a struggling Crystal 9 server for a couple of more months until we upgrade to 10 and eventually to the latest version. I have been tasked with determining if throwing more memory on the server would bolster performance. And if so, would the bolstered performance be worth it for the amount of time we plan to stay on the server (should move no later than Sept)? The server currently has 1gb of physical memory.

Hi,
What operating system is on the server - 1GB seems very low for a server that actually has to do work for multiple users.

What issues are you having in performance ?

If reports themselves are slow to return data,the fault may be in the design of the report - try running the query directly against the datasource to test its speed.

BTW, the upgrade should be to CR Server 2008 ( or, if money is not as issue ( hah!) BOE XI), not 10 -

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

We are on a Windows 2000 server.

We are experiencing several performance issues. Reports taking a long time to finish, reports not finishing but showing as running on the server (nothing shows on the database), APS stopping on it's own every few weeks.

Part of the problem may be related to the data being reported on is on Oracle 8i for an older product. Interesting note to that is I took a report from this server that had been running for over an hour and put it on our Crystal 10 server that we'll be moving to and the report ran in 20 minutes hitting the same database. Hence, I'm investigating any performance enhancement opportunities on the Crystal 9 server.

We're only going to 10 as a stepping stone. We will be moving to XI with other applications within the business at a later date. We have a block of time in the last 4 months where no changes can occur so we're trying to stabilize for that.

I appreciate your quick response. Apparently Tek-tips had an old email addy for me so I didn't know there had been a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back