Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

server maintenance check list

Status
Not open for further replies.

drublic1019

IS-IT--Management
Sep 28, 2005
US
I don't really know where this would fit in on the forum so if I posted in the worng area feel free to move it.

What I am looking for is some tips on making a server maintenance check list. Basically I am making a recurring schedule to check our servers for any problems on a monthly basis. We only have 16 so it should not take up to much of my time. Here are some of the things I have come up with so far:

hard drive space
event log check
virus definitions and scan - it is scheduled I just like to make sure it is doing it
windows update - also scheduled so just checking

And some more server specific ones like exchange manger, sql, and IIS where appilcable.

Feel free to suggest anything. The more info I get the better I can make my list. Thanks

Have a look at IP Sentry It is not particularly expensive, and will do much of what you want continuously, and even alert you via e-mail.

=======================================
So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key

Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum
======================================

If you want to do it manually, i'd recommend doing the checks weekly.

I do,

Disk space
Running Processes,
Eventlogs
Anti virus
Backups
All services running
Windows updates

You will also want to test a backup restore, Test UPS protection and reboot the servers.

Hope this helps.

PaulGillespie said:
...and reboot the servers.
Oh please! You Windows guys are insane, you act like Windows is the only Server OS in the world.

I daily check my syslogs on my linux and Netware servers. If there's a problem, it's in the syslog. I very rarely boot a server once it's been placed into service.

I agree with regularly testing backups, both tape and battery.

Each to their own boy.

Drublic, If you're runing windows updates regularly then you'll have to reboot anyway.

I don't agree with routine reboots on Windows servers anyhow, sure for updates but not just for the sake of it.

lawnboy said:
I very rarely boot a server once it's been placed into service.

I have to reboot all servers once per year, as part of the maintenance contract for the UPS/Building services. Also makes sure that the hardware is still fully functional, as we have had disks fail at this time, rather than whilst in operation, thus saving down time.

=======================================
So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key

Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum
======================================

If you have raid array, especially with large disks, schedule bi-monthly consistency checks, if possible.

Schedule a daily search and destroy for *.tmp files,off hours permitting

Maintenance, open server/wks check for dust, depends on the environment. Check for bulging capacitors at the same time.

If the servers are accessed by many techs, I go into registries of critical servers and check for bogus software and services monthly, a quick check only takes a few minutes.

If you have a third party defrager which will do a boot time defrag, well worth doing every couple of months. Schedule regular defrags nightly if possible.

Check you ports on managed switch regularly for errors.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Yep - I don't agree with routine reboots, either. I reboot as needed, such as following a SP install. Most of the hundreds of servers I manage are online for months and months before a planned reboot.

In addition to PaulGillespie's list:

update your ASR disks and tapes
run the cleaning tape through the tape drive

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back