Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server IP Address for Mobile Device 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

knappagh1

Technical User
Sep 16, 2004
GB
Im currently configuring a Nokia E61 to access our exchange server. I have the software installed on the phone and configured the profile to a point. Im not sure what IP i should be using in the settings to ensure a valid connection. I have enabled the Exchange ActiveSync on the server and have ticked the "Enable Direct Push over HTTP(s)" box. Does anyone know how i would go about finding the correct IP setting? Is it the same IP that mail for the company is directed to?

Im kinda lost here guys, so any help would be really appreciated.

Paddy

PS, I should also mention that i didnt configure the exchange server when it was installed. It was outsourced to guy who done a good job, but is no longer a "friend" of the company!!

Generally speaking, it will be the same IP or DNS Name owa uses.

Thanks for the reply, anawrocki, but unfortunatly owa was never configured. It is something i will have to look into in the near future, but at the minute all our users access their mail over the LAN. We do have some sales reps, but they connect to the network over a VPN.

You need to be able to access your mail server in the same manner as owa. If you do not tave a public IP tranlated to your exchange server with port 443 (or some other defined port) open for https traffic you are out of luck.

The "right" way to do this according to M$ would be to intall an Exchange FE in your DMZ for external mail clients such as owa and mobile devices.

Thanks once again anawrocki. To my knowledge, we dont have an ip setup for owa. I have found out that we have a number of IP's reserved in the company's name, but im not sure what these are used for. I know one is for the mail and one for the VPN, but after that im lost. I think i may have to dig deeper.

Just one more question for you, if one of these IP's are available, how difficult will it be to point it to the server?

Thanks again,
Paddy

That is tough to answer without knowing the environment. Generally should be a simple firewall config change.

What does your exchange setup look like generally, just one exchange server or several? Do you have a FE / BE config?

The setup is very basic. We have one DC, one Exchange Box and a couple of other member servers. There are no Front end, Back end servers.

As mentioned before, everyone connects to the exchange server over the LAN. The reps all use the vpn to connect to the LAN to access their emails. OWA though is a more ideal solution for them as there are complaining that the vpn is starting to get slow.

Chances are good than, that if you open port 443 for whatever IP is being used to relay SMTP e-mail that OWA and Mobile devices will work. This will also require an SSL cert as well.

You can also do this on port 80 without a SSL cert, but if you have any concerns regarding security whatsover, DON'T DO IT.

***Disclaimer***

Make sure you are comfortable with the firewall changes you make and that you understand the implications of the change. There are security white papers o'plenty regarding exchange server security best practices.

Thanks anawrocki. You've being a major help.... here have a star!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back