Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Hardware vs. Desktop Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffGatti

Technical User
May 15, 2003
US

Can anybody give me a good explaination that I can convey to my client about the difference?

I quoted him a P4 3.0,1GIG RAM, INTEL ENTRY SERVER BOARD SE7210TP1-E and the 5295 Chassis w DUAL MIRRORED SATA 160GB HDS. Price = $ 1,660.00

He sees an E machine at Office Depot with an AMD chip (2.93),1GIG RAM, and 200GB HD and add another HD for about $ 150.00. Price = $ 750.00

My plan is to put MS Small Business Server 2003 on it. he has a 15 user network and they want to be able to remote in, and share files in the field off the company web.

He is whining at me about WHY he needs a server with server class components and spend all that money when he could just put the software on this E machine.

I don't think I am explaining this to him in laymans terms correctly, can you guys help me????

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

First off I would be sceptical of running a Server OS on a workstation machine. It may or may not work but SBS is called SBS because it is designed to run on a Server.

Second servers are designed to act and function as file sharing platforms with multiple connections/users, a desktop is not.

Third, he needs to be thinking about expandability. Sure he only has 15 users now but what about later? You start getting a bunch of people trying to access a PC which is trying to work as a server and you start running into problems. It might work now just fine but later on down the road is another story. Might as well do it right the first go around.

Fourth, he needs to look at what type of applications they are going to run on this machine? Are they applications made for servers or made for PCs.

And lastly I would not use an E machine if it was the last PC on the planet.

Although I don't promote M$ on any machine...just tell him that his eMachine contains IDE harddrives and the server uses SCSI. SCSI is designed to handle multiple reads/writes in a sharing environment whereas the IDE drives can only handle about 1/10 of that cacpacity. If he/she uses IDE drives, there will be lag anytime two users try to access the same part of the harddrive at the same time.
Also, the server has RAID (I see you've only got it mirrored). Hardware RAID is much faster and more reliable than software RAID. I don't see a RAID controller listed for the eMachine, so I'll assume they want to use sw raid.

Now for my $.02. If that person wants to save some money, install Linux with Samba shares. Don't pay M$ for the incredible rebooting machine.

Mark

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Ask the client - if he were looking for a vehicle to tow the new boat, would he buy a Kia or VW, instead of a truck or SUV to save money?

Dittos to the comments already provided. SATA and SCSI are designed to run 24x7, IDE is not. What is his business server worth if it dies? Have him try running his business without a server whatsoever. Then have him call E-machine's tech support at 2 am on Sunday. Does anyone answer the phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back