Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Hangs Up for 2 days!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketlauncher

Programmer
Nov 11, 2000
US
Hello Everyone,

This is a really bad one. Our server has been down for 2 days!! :(

The situation is that it freezes when the exchange services try to load on startup.

I tried to do a soft recovery to no avail. It starts the recovery but soon after the server freezes. This behavior happens if a try to load the services too. We can not get it to load any exchange services.

If I disable the exchange services, the server works fine.

We've tried everyhting to bring up to no avail. We even brought an outside expert and he too could no get it up and running. We have run out of options. :(

If anybody has any suggestions I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advanced.

Rocket.

You've probably already done this, but can you disable the exchange services to get the server up and running?

Then get into eventvwr to see whats happening?

Try checking your Exchange server using the MSBlaster removal tool. Many folks are getting hit by this virus. Symptoms are much like what you are describing. Good luck.

Hello,

I appreciate your response guys.

But the problem has been fixed. And let me tell you that sometimes the event viewer is not even close.

Let me tell you quickly why.

Yes I did disable the exchange services and once done that the server will not freeze. I checked event viewer and exchange had some errors. I tried to start services manually and instantly the server would freeze again. So I would asume that it was something with exchange. (Even the expert that was broguht in suggested software issue). He reapplied service packs and diagnosed the exhange database to no avail. Because, everything pointed in that direction, he was erady to reinstall our box.

But I had a hunch based on prior situations, that I decided to change the box, used a computer in the buliding with same type of motherboard as our server. Replaced the interfaces placing them in the same slots with the ones that the exchange had, swap the hard drive and guess what guys exchange service were up and running, haven't had a problem since then.

So much for event viewer, saying all those messages about exchange, go figure.

So guys, sometimes the obvious isn't the obvious. This time around was a hardware issue.

But hey if anybody comes around some situation like these, try what I did might work you never now.

Once again, thanks to all for all your help. As always this is a great forum, with great bunch of people.

Thanks,
Rocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back