Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server hanging on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

grunar

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2001
US
The situation:

Took 1 of 4 DC's on my domain and demoted it from a DC to a member server. Went back to the other DC installed terminal services remote administrator mode and restarted. Now that DC hangs during the 2nd starting up windows screen about 3/4 of the way. Tired booting into safe mode, last known good configuration, and directory services restore mode. Nothing will boot. Now the wierd part...tried to boot from a windows 2000 server cd...that hangs at the point where it says starting windows 2000. HELP!!! What the hell do I do? Thanks in adavance.

Shan Amin

I have seen this before and found I had to select Last Known Good Config a few times before it came up.

Strange that it hangs at the same point on the CD, you sure it is booting to the CD and not fooling you?

Does the BIOS show anything unusual on boot since you made changes?

try booting it with the network cables disconnected...

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I figured out what the problem was though. The 2nd harddrive in my RAID 1 set seemed to me causing the hang up. Once removed the system booted fine. I didn't notice that the HD lights for the two drives were stuck solid until I pulled the front cover off. Thank you for the help.

Shan Amin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back