Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Hanging frequently - CPU usage by coreservicesd 100%!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bench202

IS-IT--Management
Apr 21, 2006
NG
Hi,

A few weeks ago my server started to hang abnormally and on regular basis.

Practically what happens is that the screen goes blank and you cannot do anything at all on the server. altough all other network services continue to work normally including hosted databases and other network apps, connecting to server using AFP is not possible and it hangs the client machine as well.

Checking the cpu usage (thanks to ssh remote login) reveals that "coreservicesd" is using 100%. so when this happens instead of rebooting the server, i stop this service and it comes up normally for a while until it goes back to 100%

I used all tools at hand (Disk Utilities, DiskWarrior and recently Techtool pro) to repair permissions / disks. When it looked like the OS could have been damaged i decided to 'migrate' from Panther to Tiger. By doing a clean 10.4 server install, i thought every OS problem would then be resolved.
To my surprise, barely 3 days after the migration the same problem re-appeared.

I am very much troubled and don't really know what to do.

Any idea?

Thanks,
Bench K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back