Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server hang on backout.tts upon boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denda

MIS
Oct 30, 2001
US
Hi All -
Got an issue that I need a little help with. NetWare 6.5 sp6 (traditional volumes). Server had a soft abend this morning and upon reboot it hung at "initializing transational tracking system". I then brought server up w/ -ns -na, loaded startup.ncf and then loadstage 1. Server then got passed the initializing stage and is now hung on scanning backout.tts. I guess I should not say hung, the disks look as though they are being accessed and the cpu light is randomly flashing like it is being used for something. So, I'm sure it is truly scanning, however, it's been at this stage for the last 2 hours. Any idea on how I can have the boot process skip the tts loading and scanning? If I can just get sys up, I can check out the backout.tts file and see what's up with it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Only thing I did was wait for it to finish. Took 4 hours to finish and then came up fine.

I've seen that take a while, but that does sound like much longer than I would expect. I would anticipate that now if you restarted it, it would come up normal. However, you could run a Vrepair and make sure the volume is clean. You could also purge the deleted files from the volume (either in vrepair or otherwise). That will help.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

longer than i would expect
havent seen it for a long time though - and must confess never used trads for a long time

i would be inclined to vrepair it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back