Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Hang at Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellylai

Instructor
Jan 18, 2001
ID
Hi,
I have a Netware 5.0 Server which hangs at startup.It never get to the console prompt.I have important data I have to retrieve at that server.Can anybody help me?

thx in advance,
Welly Lai

You will have to run the server with a couple of switches to try and find where the server is hanging.

There are a number of switched for server.exe.

1. -ns (This is no startup.ncf)
2. -na (This is no autoexec.ncf)
3. -ndb (This is no directory services)

Each of the above commands can be ran with server.exe. I would suggest server -na as a start.

If you need to get the server up quick I would suggest getting a support company in. It can be a long drawn out process if you are trying to fix a problem like this via tek-tips.

Lee Smith
Associated Network Services
Snr Systems Engineer
Lee.Smith@ANSPLC.Com

Is that a plug Lee?

If you run SERVER -NS, you will have to load the SCSI & LAN drivers manually. If you run SERVER -NA, you will have to load the LAN drivers manually. Only SYS gets mounted with SERVER -NA. Look in your C:\NWSERVER\STARTUP.NCF, SYS:SYSTEM\AUTOEXEC.NCF or SYS:ETC\NETINFO.CFG if you are unsure of the drivers to load. If it hangs on one of these, you know where the problem is.

Have you applied any patches to the server lately? It might be worth reapplying your latest service pack depending on what you think the server is hanging on. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Could do it in my sleep TheLad ha ha ha.

trying to run through loadstage etc etc is going to take so much typing.

Can you tell us when the server seems to hang. Is it a particular driver, etc.

I'll try and help honest..
Lee Smith
Snr Systems Engineer
Lee.Smith@ANSPLC.Com

Lee: At which point does it hang? What are the last 5 messages on the screen?

Cheers, Andy.

Which Lee?

It's Welly's server not mine. Sorry. Lee Smith
Snr Systems Engineer
Lee.Smith@ANSPLC.Com

Sorry Lee mate, Meant Welly!

Welly: At which point does it hang? What are the last 5 messages on the screen?

Cheers, Andy.

Actually...the problem begins after I applied the Service Pack...But I can get to the prompt with SERVER -NA and change the volume name then plug the hard drive to another Netware server.I can retrieve the data now.
The server seems to hang when loading HOS something...I don't remember.
Anyway,thanks guys...

Welly Lai

Have you got CONLOG working? If so, boot the server up with SERVER -NA and use EDIT to view SYS:ETC\CONSOLE.LOG.

You should be able to determine where your server is hanging from here.

Lee: could the Service Pack be re-applied whilst booted up SERVER -NA ??? -----------------------------------------------------

You can do it with -na as long as all the loadstages have been run. -na I think does run all stages. Mounting the sys should be enough. Lee Smith
Snr Systems Engineer
Lee.Smith@ANSPLC.Com

I'd suggest that as a start point. Boot up using SERVER -NA then re-apply the SP. Be nice to find out what is exactly causing the problem.

You could also rem out statements on AUTOEXEC.NCF one by one to see if this works also? -----------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back