Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server freezes every saturday night during automatic rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsmith64

MIS
Jun 20, 2002
US
Every Saturday night the server freezes. The server is set to automatically reboot every saturday night. Sunday, no-one can log on until I manually come in and shutdown and restart the server. Then everything is fine until the next Saturday morning. I'm not very good with Novell, can someone help me out. I had though it might have someing to do with space, so I freed up some, but still the same problem.

Hi,

The problem may be that you are rebooting it at a time when some maintenance is running.

Can you supply more details? What do you see on the console when you come in?

Have you tried manually rebooting the server on Friday night to see if it makes a diffrence?

Is the server abended? If it is, there will be a number immediately after the server name <1>.

Lou

Hi
I have never herd of anyone doing an automatic reboot, but I suspect the server is not going Down cleanly ie It may be getting stuck on an NLM such as Virus Software Backup Software or even the maybe NDPS Printing module.I would only be guessing so you would need to see exactly what it is doing at the time it reboots, the system error log (sys$log.dat) or the abend log (Abend.log) if the server is abending or experiencing a critical error.
I have worked with Novell for many years have always with all versions of the product and have always been proud of the Uptime that is achieved. One year without a reboot is not uncommon and looks great on a management report and one which Microsoft can only dream about.
Sure there is always a little memory fragmentation and leakage, but if your hardware is up scatch then maybe consider only rebooting when you are in the office, say when your patching your Microsoft Server for yet another Vulnerability. This way you can check your Time Synch status and maybe do a periodical DSREPAIR from time to time.
We reboot our Microsoft Servers every Saturday or else we run into problems, but have never had to do it for Netware Servers until an error message is displayed like &quot;Cache allocator out of available memory&quot; then you can organize your Manual reboot.

Regards

David CNE

I have Novell servers that run for a year, even two, without reboots - usually some external reason, like building maintenance, that forces it. Why on earth are you rebooting weekly??

Fred Wagner
frwagne@longbeach.gov

I agree with Marvin and Fred. The only servers I have had to reboot on a regular basis required memory upgrades (when they had memory upgrades, the problems disappeared).

-----------------------------------------------------
&quot;It's true, its damn true!&quot;
-----------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back