Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Error in '/' Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

vincentw56

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2002
US
Server error in application
I keep getting a server error in application, see below. I have modified the web.config file like it says and it still displays the same thing. The aspx page that I am using just has some text in it. There is no HTML or code in it, just text that says - This is a test. I have tried it with aspx pages that I know work on my test system. This is our production server so I have created everything on our test system and it works fine. I even moved it to my local machine and it works fine. I uninstalled the Dot Net Framework and reinstalled it still nothing. I just can't figure out what is going on as it works on other systems but not this one. All of our other HTML and ASP web pages work fine.

Here is the error:

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

If you are allowed, I would do as the error message asks and change the customErrors from RemoteOnly to Off for a short time.

If you do so, make sure you get the error message and change the customErrors element back to RemoteOnly ASAP (otherwise an attacker can get valuable information from the errors).

I did that and still got the exact same error. I was able to get on the machine locally and run the application. It produced an error that I could work with. The problem was with security. The installation program did not create the right security on the website. I applied the right security and everything works fine now. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back