Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server email/exchange domain name change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyRosa

Technical User
Apr 13, 2012
GB
Hi all,

I need to change a domain name for a new domain name on SBS 2011.
Popcon software is currently used to collect mail from the current domain name and then passed on to the relevant mailboxes.
Do I need to run the internet connection wizard again with new domain name details or can I simply add a catch all mailbox if possible or separate mailboxes in Exchange? If going with the later, would I then need to make the new domain name mailboxes primary email address?

Kind regards,
J

Im certain you cant change the domain name in SBS, all you need to do in exchange is add a new accepted domain.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

Correct on both counts

iMachiavellian - think dissident

Hi,

Sorry that's what I meant. Mail domain.

Thank you both.

J

Jimmy, if you want to maintain your current settings and simply allow mail to the new domain to be delivered, you just need to do two things:

1. Add the new domain to the Accepted Domains list (Org -> Hub Transport) as an authoritative domain.
2. Edit default email address policy to include the new domain. In that wizard you can decide whether you want the new domain to be the primary domain for all your users or just in the background as an additional working domain.

If you want to make the new domain name the primary domain in your organization, you would go ahead and run the Internet Name wizard. If it removes your previous domain, you'd want to go into Accepted domains and the Address Policy I mentioned earlier and re-add the old domain so that you continue to get that mail as usual.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back