Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Edition Upgrade Questions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsm600rr

IS-IT--Management
Nov 17, 2015
US
Hello all,

I have a client that currently has:

- Server Edition Primary (Main Loc)
- Server Edition Secondary (Main Loc)
- IP500v2 - Expansion (4 PRI Trunks for Primary/Secondary)(Main Loc)
- IP500v2 - Remote PBX Linked Via SCN

All systems are running R9.1.8.0 Build 172

My question is on the Main Primary and Secondary Servers. The client has purchased brand new (Avaya ENT 700514262 ACP 110 Dell Server Profile 3 with IP Office)- does anyone know how these servers ship? Having a bit of trouble finding more info on them. Ship with SE Preinstalled? The servers are not local to me.

Next, since the client purchased new primary and secondary servers, should I be able to fire them up at R11.1 and merge a backup from the current servers? Current servers are running R9.1.8.0 Build 172

Thank you.

ACSS / ACIS
Dcomm, LLC

I think they are pre-installed but you may have to upgrade them to the latest release.
I only installed 1 physical server and that had it all installed and just needed to get initialized

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Westi: Thank you. Considering they are currently on R9.1, would you recommend:

- Firing up the new servers at the latest R11.1 and merge the backup from the existing servers at R9.1 or;

- Fire up the new servers at the existing R9.1, merge the backup at the same release and then upgrade to R11.1

- Also please confirm the order (I am currently going thru some documentation), so I apologize if I didn't get to this part first, however, I am assuming the upgrade path would be Primary, Secondary and then Expansion with the PRI Trunks, then the rest of the 500v2's - thoughts?

Thanks!

ACSS / ACIS
Dcomm, LLC

I have not done a move of configs on server from 9.1 to 11.1 but can't see any issues with it and that is what I would do.

If you have some settings that you rather not take over you can always set up the new server and then simply upload the config via Manager which would only be the IP Office programming.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Thanks Westi. We are looking to move the programing exactly as it is. Thoughts on R11 Releases? I have always deployed R11.1 Build 95 (IP Office Administration 11.1.100.95 (11.1.0.1 Build 95)) as I have not had many issues on that release. What is the latest stable release from Avaya that people have had good luck with?

ACSS / ACIS
Dcomm, LLC

I have to say that I am biased towards 11.1 and I only had very few upgrades to that due to the beginning and the issues they had. Most of mine are still 11.0

Seems that the latest releases though are more stable.

Maybe someone can chime in here that uses more 11.1 servers.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Anyone know how I can verify the current software version of the new Primary Server from the command line? I do not want to go thru the ignition process, just curious what the server is at?

ACSS / ACIS
Dcomm, LLC

Keep in mind the Log4J issue on 11.1.1
I have upgraded to 11.1.3 and have not had any issues. Best to take it all the way up.

As far as restoring to 11.1. I have done this without experiencing any negative affects.
On the new servers. plug into LAN 1. It should be default 192.168.42.1
Browse to and setup the initial configuration.
Then go to the 7070 port and complete the setup.

IPOTS: Appreciate the info. So you have spun up a fresh server at R11.1 and merged from a R9.1 backup without any issues?

ACSS / ACIS
Dcomm, LLC

That is correct.
If you can upgrade the current server to 11.0.4.5 that would be ideal.
Then do a full backup of voicemail pro. Take that backup and drop it into the "Other Backups" folder using WinSCP.
Browse to the 7071 port select the backup and do a restore.
On the IP Office. Use Manager to send the backup config back to the IPO,

IPOTS: Not a bad idea, however minimal down time is essential with this client (Hospital).

ACSS / ACIS
Dcomm, LLC

In that case, prep the new servers, restore the backups. Then migrate the licenses over from the old servers.
On the expansion units. If you trying pushing the upgrades from the Primary server and it errors out, just connect to them directly using Manager upgrade from Manager. You can do more than one at a time. I had 5 going at once with 5 occurrences of Manager open. Less down time for the customer.

Some Random Questions:

- After I go thru the Ignition Process on the new Primary Server at R11.1, do I need to also go thru the Initial Configuration before pushing the R9.1 backup to the new R11.1 Server?

- One of the steps in the Initial Configuration is to: "Set and confirm the Default Extension Password". Is this going to be an issue with the existing (9608/1608) IP phones when I move them to the new Servers? I see the password requirements are 9-13 digits. Ideally we would want to match the existing phone extension password, correct?

- What about going thru the same process on the secondary? Ignition (as secondary) and Initial Configuration.

- Should I add the Secondary Server to the Primary Server "Add System to Solution" before pushing the backup from the old R9.1 Server to the New R11.1 Secondary?

ACSS / ACIS
Dcomm, LLC

the default extension password is only in the settings but it will be wiped out by the restore and most likely not be set up at all so you will have to go in and set it manually in the system if you want it entered automatically when you create a new extension

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back