Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server dropping connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdavid

MIS
Sep 17, 2001
US
Hi,

We have an NT Server v4.0 and 15 NT v4.0 WS. Every now and then the server drops it network connection and everyone gets kicked off their applications.

The event log shows that just before this happens, a computer requests that it is the master browser and wants to perform an election. If the server gets rebooted it works ok for another little while

Server is running SP6a with all new updates.

Has someone seen this problem and how can I resolve it, its driving me crazy.

Thanks

David

On each of your 15 workstations, try this:

Within Regedit or Regedt32 go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters

Then edit the "MaintainServerList" key so that it says "No". This entry should be made without the quotation marks.

That should stop the browser elections. Note that this is a workaround NOT a fix to your problem. With such a small network to support, your DC shouldn't be losing any connections. Since there are a lot of things that could be causing that, I'd first check out your NIC and if you have a hub, check it as well. If you can, replace each one, first the NIC to see if that stops the problems and if it doesn't, then the hub to see if that stops it. If the problem still continues, then it gets to be a bit to big to try and guess at.

to make your life easier export the registry changes to as a .reg file, put it on a shared drive, put the entry in the NetLogon share with regedit /s <path> and log on to each of the 15 workstations.

Hi,

I had a similar problem last week with a Server that the connection went up and down. We had 2 NIC's on that server.
When I removed the Cable from one of the NIC's the connection was OK again. A faulty NIC was the problem here..
Don't know if you already checked that but it helped me.
Also there were no errors of it in the event log.....

GSC

Hi, I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth...
I had a server nic that would drop off the network under heavy load (mostly during remote backups). When I checked the MS Hardware compatibility list, I found it was a problem with the nic model. I changed out the nic, and the server hasn't dropped since.
Hope that helps.
Regards,
Pam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back