Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server drive disconnected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geej

Technical User
Oct 2, 2008
US
I had to move some cables around on a little 8 port switch I have yesterday because my DSL went down.

I ran the server direct into the 8 port switch, ran 2 work stations into the switch as well to by pass the internet, everything was fine, I could see the server and access our estimation program with no problem.

Last night the at&t guy came, connected a new modem to the switch to get us our internet back.

Now we have internet, but everytime I click the icon to access the server from the desktops, it is telling me that the drive is "disconnected".

The wierd thing is, there are no red "x"'s on the drives in "my computer" or "network places".

I tried to re map, but I get a message saying that it IS mapped.

I get another message saying "network path was not found"

Then (like a fool) I hit disconnect from the drive on my workstation (in my computer) figuring it would be easy enough to re connect and the drive disappered and I don't know how to find it again.

Any body have any ideas? It was working yesterday why would it just lose the netork path and how do I find the drive I deleted on my workstsion.

Please let me know how to troubleshoot this, it has to be something simple.

Thank you so much.

Geej,

I would personally start at your server, and verify that it is functional and can see the network. This would include checking layer 0...make sure you see the link and activity lights at both ends of the ethernet line connected to your server!

You may also want to give your switch a restart to clear the routing table. Really don't think that's your issue, but it won't hurt to eliminate the possibility.

-T

Was the DSL modem serving as the DHCP server for your network? Is it possible that the previous modem was provisioned to supply multiple IP addresses to CPE, while the new one is provisioned to only supply a single address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back