Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server DR procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukshug1

Technical User
Dec 12, 2000
DE
I am trying to recover a server from a full backup and having problems.

I have an old Proliant 1000 that I have a full backup of and am trying to recover the functionality of this on to a new Proliant DL380. As there are no full installation documentation for the software and services on the server I was trying to perform a full restore onto the new server.

Whatever I try to do this the server will not start, it just gives a blue screen.

Are there any recomended ways to recover a server in this way.

Thanks

Steve

You have to bear in mind that the drivers required for a Proliant 1000 are vastly different to that on a DL380. That is why you are getting blue screens because of the incompatabilities that are trying to load.

DR procedures usually recommend the same hardware. I would build the DL380 with whatevefr operating system and backup software you are using, then restore data only. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I've had most success following this procedure for Windows NT4...

Install NT4 on target system
Install Service pack matching that of system to be restored
Install Backup Software again matching service packs
Restore all files from Backup tape, to original locations EXCEPT the following which are to be excluded from restore;

BOOT.INI
NTLDR
%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\HAL.DLL
%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\KERNEL32.DLL
%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\NTDLL.DLL
%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\NTOSKRNL.EXE
%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\WIN32K.SYS
%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\WINSRV.DLL

When restore is complete, restart the system

Boot from NT4 Server CD

If required at the first "NT Setup" Screen press F6 to add support for any Array Controllers

When prompted UPGRADE the exsisting installation found. (which is the one that you just restored)

The Upgrade procedure will modify the installation adding support for the hardware its been restored onto

When the system boots open the controll panel and SCSI icon and remove any drivers that didn't start.

Install the latest Service Pack.

Install drivers for the hardware using the SmartStart CD

This is a rough guide on how to do it, if youd like more information please post a reply and I'll try my best to help out..

Regards

Hi,

I have a similar setup where I'm trying to ghost one server (ML370) to another server (DL380 G2). all works well, except that there are 2 different array controllers involved. I have just tried your technique, but the problem is that nowhere do I find the option UPGRADE when booting from the CD. any hints?
thanks in advance,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back