Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server down - blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

markus97

Technical User
Apr 11, 2007
CA
We're having an issue with one of the servers here.

Someone attempted to remove some windows patches to free up disk space and rebooted the machine but it looks as though the os is now toast.

The machine boots up, it connects to the network for 3 seconds, the blue screen of death flashes and the os reboots on its own. It does this over and over again until you shut the machine off completely. We tried the last known good config but it doesen't work. We cant read the blue screen bc it flashes way too fast.

Any ideas on the best and quickest method to get this machine back up?

Thanks

If you can get into the server for long enough I would turn off the option that reboots so you can read the error message.

To do this:
1.Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2.Click the Advanced tab.

3.Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4.Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

When it blue screens take note of the error.

It will no doubt be a hardware/drive related problem.

Google it and go forth!!

I'm unable to get in at all. When it boots up normaly, it shows the windows splash page, does a quick blue screen flash and reboots.

I tried safe mode and safe mode with networking and when it attempts to load the file, it stops at mup.sys and reboots!!

Any other ideas?

Try the following
1. Restart the server in Recovery Console mode
2. Open the SP4 uninstall folder. By default, the SP4 uninstall folder is in the following location:
%SystemRoot%\$NTServicePackUninstall$
If you don't have the folder avail, you may need to get the file from the CD
3.Copy the Mup.sys file from the SP4 uninstall folder to the following folder:
%SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers
4.Restart the computer.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for the response.

I was looking for the folder but was unable to find it. I'm currently searching for the location on the cd for the mup file. The only file that I found was MUP.SY_

Do I have to rename the extension on it or is this a totally different file?

I found all of the uninstallation files for the patches

$NTUninstallKB810217$

I'm wondering if some of the patches that are installed may have conflicted with the patches removed.

Thanks a lot

I am sure, this is not Mup.sys problem, usually this is only the last driver shown.
My suggestion: install Windows in separate directory, boot in it and try to open eventlog files to see what problem you have. Then you will know if you can repair the problem or need to reinstall Windows.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

You can copy the MUP.SY_ file locally and then use the EXPAND command as follows

EXPAND MUP.SY_ MUP.SYS

As per Karlis' post, I agree it may or may not be MUP.SYS related but rather driver related, but since this occurred after deleting a patch folder, I would start of there first. If this still doesn't work, then I would suggest the same, install Windows in a separate directory and check the event logs from the other instance.

thx for the response

Is it possible to remove all of the patches via recovery console? Maybe by doing so. nothing will conflict.

If I run the repair tool via the windows cd, will it remove any of my files or applications/programs?

thx

I tried replacing the MUP file and I ran in to the same issue. I tried safe mode again but no luck.

You cannot install or uninstall something from Recovery Console.
If you run repair from Windows CD, it will replace system files which are not the same as on CD and install missing files, so you will be reverted to original Windows setup. For me repair not helped in such situations.
Perhaps easier is to reinstall Windows and applications and then restore configuration and files from backup.
If you dont want to ar have no backups, the only way is make parallel install and read event log to see what is in BSOD.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

What type of server is this? I had an HP machine that wouldn't go into safe mode and reboot at MUP.sys which was an unreleated problem, turns out it was a BIOS issue and there was a fix in the updated BIOS from HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back