Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Disaster Recovery Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

badmotorvision

Programmer
Oct 15, 2009
US
Hi, I got stuck supporting a Windows 2003 server standard box. I don't have much experience with servers in general mostly desktop support. My question is in Win 7 pro you have complete system backups that you can do on top of your data backups that allow you to restore from hardware crash / loss of harddrive ect. that can get your up and running again pretty quick.
How do you do this in server 2003?

Although you can use ASR (Automated System Recovery) in Windows 2003 (and XP), we have used bare metal recovery tools like Christie CBMR. There are other tools out there as well including Acronis. A google search of "Bare Metal Recovery for Windows 2003" will lead you to a variety of products.

Norton Ghost will work if you want to do it on the cheap and to the same hardware. Make sure you store the image somewhere safe.

Then you'd have to worry about putting the latest data backup on top of the Ghost restore. Might get complicated if you use Exchange.

Ask for more money now that you're a "server expert".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back