Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Crashes 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarkon4

MIS
Dec 16, 2003
US
I have a server that keeps crashing overnight. There is no indication of anything in the event logs. It's as if the power was turned off, Thing is that's not happening, other servers are ok. My question is this, would there be any other logs anywhere that would help me locate the problem?

Is it always at the same time? What else is going on on the server at that time? Backup? AV scan?

Is it plugged into a dedicated UPS that might have a failing battery?

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Not at same time one day was sometime around 1 am and the last was 5:14 pm. I have searched the hard drive for *.log and checked for anything around the same time to no avail.
It is plugged into a UPS that is shared with another server. That server is ok. The only function of this server is backup which doesn't start until 10 pm.

Have you checked the obvious things like power cables to ensure there isn't a short (don't get electrocuted, could also be the PSU at fault!) and also tried a different port on your UPS to to eliminate that also?

Might also be worth running some hardware diags to see whether there could be anything from a hardware perspective that may be causing the issue.

Also, does your backup application logs indicate an issue?

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

I would check for dump files in C:\Windows\Minidump folder. There are some MS free tools that may help to identify the problem.

Agree with TheLad...
Power utility companies do power grid switching in the wee morning hours. If your power supply is nominally within spec, slight power anomalies can cause it to go out of spec, restarting your server. Aged batteries in the UPS can also cause this if your PS is marginal, even though your other server is unaffected.
If you have a volt-ohm meter with a peak hold button, you could find out the highest/lowest voltage outputted by your PS leads, but would require testing over days.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Turns out it was a failing power supply, good thing we have spares.

Thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back