Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server connectivity problems after installing Server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aknip

MIS
Apr 12, 2005
US
I have a Dell PowerEdge 2600 with the following hardware specs:
• Dual 2.8Ghz Xeon
• 2GB RAM
• PERC 4/Di RAID Controller – RAID 1 for OS, RAID 5 for Exchange

This server was recently running Windows 2000 Server and Exchange 2003 without any problems and had outstanding performance. I recently upgraded the OS to Server 2003. Since this upgrade we have had periodic network connectivity issues. Occasionally when I open an email attachment the server stops responding for a few seconds. I started a continuous ping from my machine to the Exchange server and another server. When I tried to open an attachment of any size, the exchange server would stop responding to two pings; the ping to another server never stopped. This does not happen with all attachments, but occasionally. Sometimes it will happen with a 5k attachment, but a few seconds later you can open a 5MB attachment just fine. There is nothing in the event log that corresponds with this event.

The other strange thing that happens is when you try to connect to the server remotely through RDC occasionally half of the login screen will appear, and then just lock. When this happens the server stops responding to ping for up to 10 seconds.

Here’s the other kicker, we have the same RDC connection problems to a couple of our Dell PowerEdge 2800 servers that are running Server 2003. I have Intel servers running Server 2003 and have never had this problem.

I reapplied the MS05-019 patch since the symptoms (KB 898060) sounded similar, but this did not solve the problem.
Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back