Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Cloning

Status
Not open for further replies.

contsi

MIS
Dec 17, 2003
US
I have a server that I need to make another identical. I have already purchased the second identical hardware.
Can someone provide a step by step or link to do this using VM? I guess I need to pull the image from the current server and then migrate to the new hardware. Will all my drive configuration remain the same on the new machine?

Thank You

Need to clarify that your are moving a physical server to VM environment?

Platespin or Storagecraft would do the trick. They both offer solutions for p2v, v2p, p2p, v2v etc...

I am using Storagecraft and love it's ability to do v2p or p2p to any hardware. It doesn't care Dell to HP, IBM to Dell, Dell 1750 to a Dell 2950 ... it doesn't care.

I only tested Platespin for a few days and didn't get a full feel of it, we got a better deal for Storagecraft.

Good luck!

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

I'm using Storagecraft and getting the following fatal error. Can you help?
Thanks

05Feb-2009 13:47:27 Fatal I/O error on \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy5 offset 278ba0600 on read (-31 A device attached to the system is not functioning.)

hi,
I believe you need to clone ESX server, not a VM.

How many disks has yor HW? Have you a RAID1 for basic VMware?
You can take disk2 of raid1 and put it in 2nd server,
then mirror them with 2nds spare disks.

After if you have VM images on a RAID5, you can build a new RAID 5 on the new machine, and ftp VM from 1st to 2nd.

To be exact, we need know your Array/raid cfg, to follow this way. Probably the previous posts are better, but I have suggested this way, to give you another way, which does not need other tools that can complicate your problem.

ciao
vittorio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back