Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Change Control Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCSAbrian

MIS
May 28, 2002
US
I am looking for a piece of software to track changes made on our servers. I have searched the net but all I find is software for tracking programing changes. I want to track hardware and software installation and updates on our 18 servers so if there is a problem we have something to go back on. Does such a program exist or do I need to stick with my Excel sheets. Thanks

aer you running all win2000 servers? if so you can enable auditing....
then all info will be stored in the event viewer of a DC

We do have auditing enabled and are use HP Insight Manager to monitor the servers. What I'm looking for is something to keep track of changes made by me or the 2 other System Administrators. Our boss requires us to record everytime we make any changes on the servers such as creating or moving shares, installing patches or anything else. She wants us to be able to turn in a report once a month of everything we did when we touched a server. If there is a problem with a server the first thing she will ask is "what changed?" and we must be able to give her that list of changes.

ok i got you now....i cant think of any softwareoff the top of my head..maybe Track-It but I'm not sure if it allows for socumenting issues. I usually just used a taks list, by date, in Outlook to showcase my work for my bosses, gave them contributor rights so they could add any comments (good job, you suck, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back