Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server cannot connect to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

3Saturns

Vendor
Mar 13, 2007
US
HELP! I was re-running the CEICW today, just to look at the setup because the Remote Web Workplace is not working. I ended up not making any changes. The server had downloaded it's auto updates, so I let the server restart this afternoon -- everything appeared fine on restart. I got a call this eve that the server cannot connect to internet (needs to connect for credit card processing server to do it's job). I walked the client through the CEICW and had him check settings. Everything appears to be ok. HELP!

FYI -- I have one NIC and a D-link router with DSL connection. Everything was working until the restart to finish applying the updates...

I hate updates! I only download the critical ones. Which exact updates did you download? My first instinct would be to head to Add/Remove Programs and see if removing them helps...but I am not a pro, so take anything I say with a pound of salt.

My guess would be the firewall or DHCP settings somehow changed, are there any clues in the EventLog? Any services that failed to start? First I would try and ping the router. Next make sure all physical connections are sound. Be sure the DSL line is good, by plugging a PC or laptop into the modem port. If the DSL is fine, try running a "Repair Network Connection". Run ipconfig /all to make sure the server is in the same subnet as the router.

As a last resort disable the firewall in the CEICW to test.

Best of luck.

Tony

I know that W2K3 SP2 on SBS 2003 requires a second reboot for things to work properly. If it downloaded that update, you may just need to reboot it again.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back