Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server boots, but keyboard, mouse and monitor do not work? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanT

Programmer
Jan 6, 2003
US
The server went down for some reason? Don't yet know why. When I tried to reboot the system, it seems to be trying to restart again, but non of the external components work. Keyboard, mouse and monitor are not working. Power is getting to them they but they are not responsive. Does anyone know the reason and cure for this?

Nathan,
Have you tried a cold boot, and remve the power cord for about 20 seconds? Is this server on a KVM switch by chance?

Mike

This is a server and not on a KVM switch. I have tried power down but no help. I have tested out the monitor, keyboard and mouse on another server and they are working fine. Any other suggestions?

If its a 6400/7400 Gateway branded server, check the floppy light. If its on solid during the no video/no post situation, you have a bad motherboard.

Otherwise, standard steps
- remove the memory and listen for beeps.
- try one memory module at a time (or pairs if dual-channel mem)
- remove all pci cards, and external usb devices. Disconnect keyboard and mouse
- clear NVRAM, usually with a jumper called CLR CMOS or a dip switch, check the back of the side/top panel.
- disconnect all devices, ide, floppy, scsi from the system board
- reseat power to the motherboard
- call their tech support. 877-485-1464 opt 2,3,3 - 24X7X365 and most servers have lifetime hardware phone support for troubleshooting just this type of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back