Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Application Unavailable...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turchan

Programmer
Aug 24, 2001
US
Please help!

Getting [red]Server Application Unavailable[/red] while processing records in CRViewer. Event Log says: aspnet_wp.exe (PID: 1660) was recycled because memory consumption exceeded the 306 MB (60 percent of available RAM). It only happens when 'large' amount of records is being processed (around 500 pages of report). Other report - 391 pages prints fine thought...
Running ASP.NET on .NET Framework v1.0, Crystal Reports v9.0
Installed .NET Framework SP2, Crystal Reports SP1 and CR.NET Viewer May 2003 HotFix.

Anyone came across the same behavior? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Ladies and Gents!

I am using CRViewer on my ASP.NET page, assigning a report object to it's ReportSource property that has a lot of records. CRViewer shows first number of pages and dies when I try to print report or navigate to the last page. It gives me [red]Server Application Unavailable[/red] and app log says that I exceeded my memory limit 60% (set in machine.config). Is there any way to overcome this? Any property I can set so CRViewer will page itself on disk and not only rely on RAM?
Thank you.

Holy crap man, thats a HUGE resource hit on your server!

I mean, 60%?!

Obviously you could just increase the max memory limit in Machine.config, but there's another option here:

Set up your application so that when someone wants a report created, they can trigger it but it DOESN'T GET PERFORMED BY THE ASP.NET CODE! You'd need to write a windows service or application that maybe checks a datastore every so often to see if there's any report requests, and generates the reports. You could then set up some form of file area in your asp.net application for users to retrieve the reports at a later time, and view the completed COMPILED reports.

This is a much better scenario, as you can offload the work of creating the reports to an entirely different process, or better yet an entirely different server (I can imagine that web traffic on your site slows quite a bit).

Anyway, thats how I'd approach it. Of course, there are other options that include not using CR, but if you have to, I'd suggest looking at ways to offload the work from your webserver.

hth

D'Arcy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back