Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Administration Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

1ITconsultant

Technical User
May 17, 2006
US
Would like to install either server 2003 or advanced server 2000 on a 4GB USB drive connected to a Vista Ultimate desktop with DSL internet access. I am aware that they are legacy versions but I would like to practice installation, configuration and administration.

Is this doable and what additional barriers might exist to launch this project. Guidance sought

Instead of doing this, why don't you just install one of the free VMware products (Server, View) on your laptop and run these operating systems as virtual machines instead. This will enable you to test connectivity from Vista to your respective OS.

Much thanks for your timely reply. Yes I am aware of VMware and the microsoft equivalent. I wanted to try the USB path to confirm proof of concept and test portability. i.e. move a USB server to other computers.

After past installations I've not had good outcomes with VMware. Would you be kind enough to offer a link to an appropriate VM evaluation download. I might want to correspond with you once or twice since I've been through the VM documentation and could not find info on issues of my concern. I close

Cordially,
M. Phil

Booting from USB is hit or miss depending on the machine you are booting from. There are plenty of resources that can be found on google explaining this

Now as for downloading VMware, again a simple google search or even just going to will provide you a link to downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back