Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

server-4.11-1586:loader cannot find public symbol : ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjsj

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2001
US
Hi all

can anybody tell me what this error message means (or any part of it as it can have different endings depending on what is loading on the server)as i have been looking for it on the net and found nothing at all.

any information would be greatly received

thanks for your time in advance

That's a very common error that happens when you have mismatched files in your NetWare server. For example, if you have SP9 installed, and something goes wrong, you get in over your head, so you decide that reinstalling the server will fix the problem <shaking head in disbelief>. Well, when you do that, now some of the files are going to be mismatched depending on how the installation did it's file/date/version checking. You'll have some files fromthe original CD, and others from SP9. viola, you now have files that try to load, but the old versions that you just put on there are now the wrong version and don't have the necessary code to load correctly.

Sometimes resolving it is as easy as reapplying the service pack. But it kinda depends on which modules are trying to load that give you the errors. Usually if the SPACK doesn't fix it you have to troubleshoot the NLM loads on an individual basis.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Thanks for the info, yes i understand now what is happening and will try the sp9 reinstall first to see what happens

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back