Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

server 330 8640 PB0 won't recognize 2nd processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fidofox

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2003
AT
i have server 330 8640 with a PII 266. on the 2nd processor slot i mounted a second processor of the same type. the machine starts up normally but doesn't recognize the 2nd processor. there is no menu in the bios to enable SMP or diable it.
startup message:
1 processor(s) BSP is P1 and AP not available

bios version is latest (release RBKT28A)
do i need a special 2nd procesor ?

You dont need a special processor, but you do need to install the Voltage Regulator Module.

For MT 8640 11Y, 21Y, PB0 PT0 you need FRU:12J2699
For MT 8640 PM0 you need FRU:07H1097

Hope that helps

I am having the same problem. Maybe I don't understand your answer. Just to be sure, I need a second Voltage Regulator Module for the secondary processor as well as the primary processor and Voltage Regulator Module. Is this correct? Thank you.

neilcresswell is correct, each processor requires a voltage reg. module. Also the processors must be the same speed and cache size.

The gold print on the top edge of the processor will give you the speed and cache size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back