Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server 2008 - LAN SPEED fast before login, slow after login

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmeeTech

IS-IT--Management
Nov 9, 2010
US
I have a poser here.
We are running a 2008 R2 machine as DC, no problems.
Also running another 2008 machine as application server, running fine... except...
After rebooting, if I don't login, a LAN SPEED TEST is 80mbs, read and write.
However AFTER logging in, test runs at 20mbs, read and write!
Obviously, a service or process is seriously curtailing LAN performance ONLY after login. Any ideas what I should be looking for? Thanks, Jason

To be more specific, I am using the LAN SPEED TEST prog from a client. To the DC I get around 53mbps R/W, which is normal. To the APP server is where i get the goofy speeds before and after login.

Hi, dgillz! I think I posted int he wrong area. Where should I go?

This has nothing to do with macola. The macola server is running splendid. I am having trouble with the LAN speed of my other APPSVR, but only when it is logged in. Here is the data:

It doesnt show any rogue processes or services hogging bandwidth. Its pretty standard. I did run some speed tests of various configurations if it helps you help me narrow down the culprit:

[APPSVR=troubled 2008 server, DC=domain controller, XP1 & XP2=xp pro clients, WIN7=win7 client. All clients are admin members of domain. Running speed test from -> to other computer, W=write R=read, - AVG OF 3 TESTS, 20MB FILE, W & R IN MB per sec).

(APPSVR IS LOGGED IN WITH DOMAIN ADMIN)
APPSVR -> XP1 = 34W 25R
APPSVR -> XP2 = 30W 25R
APPSVR -> WIN7 = 56W 25R

XP1 -> APPSVR = 24W 26R
XP2 -> APPSVR = 24W 26R
WIN7 -> APPSVR = 26W 67R

XP1 -> DC = 42W 70R
XP2 -> DC = 40W 70R
WIN7 -> DC = 6W 85R (YES 6 mbps, i need to look at this too)

XP1 -> XP2 = 78W 81R
XP2 -> XP1 = 76W 81R

Simply logging out of APPSVR doesnt seem to affect anything. I must restart the APPSVR and then NOT log in. Here ore the client speed test results:

(BEFORE APPSVR IS LOGGED IN)
XP1 -> APPSVR = 82W 81R
XP2 -> APPSVR = 84W 81R
WIN7 -> APPSVR = 87W 85R

Its obviously something in the APPSVR user login process slowing it down. Perhaps the Microsoft Mgmt Console? AntiV settings that kick in after login? I don't know. maybe i am missing something.

I am not a big server/infrastructure guy, but there are hundreds of forums here. Just search for one and I'm sure you'll find the appropriate forum.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, Synergy, and Crystal Reports. Check out our Macola tools:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back