Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server 2003 System Disk Failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColWH

Vendor
May 18, 2008
GB
Good evening,
I, along with others, have been getting the above message regularly on Windows Home Server. Changing disks - checking with Spinrite - Chkdsk - Manufacturers own software etc., shows no problems whatsoever.
As a non-knowledgeable user, could it be something with the underlying software, (server 2003/WHS,) which is not reading the disk, or not allowing enough time for the disk access which could cause this repeated message?

Many thanks,

Colin

I've never used Windows Home Server, so difficult to comment directly on that. But tell us at exactly what point in boot up this message occurs.

During or immediately after POST?
Within WIndows Home Server?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

What is the error Event ID in the eventlog? Source?

Tony

Users helping Users...

Evening,
Well, it appears listening to others as well, that the message can appear at any time; not just when the server is booted, which is in itself, an infrequent occurrence.
The one thing that happens, even though there are no specific logs for it, is that chkdsk is hard-wired into the WHS code, to b ran every 12 hours - goodness knows why, but I was wondering if that in and of itself, could possibly have an effect. However, again, after checking with other users, it doesn't appear to correlate with that, as some people get it every day, others maybe once a week.
As this is version One of WHS, some areas do appear to be quite 'fragile' and logging is an area that isn't implemented as well as it could be. I guess because it's supposedly for the 'non-technical' user, so esoteric logs would be confusing!
I have two servers running WHS, one a Dell 1435, which never ever has the problem, and the other a Dell 1600SC, both with identical disks - all disks bought together - and it exhibits this problem maybe once a week or so.
Maybe some form of external (to 2k3/WHS) logging software might be possible, as I'm nearly sure it must be the WHS portion that is creating this. At least, I've never experienced it with just 2k3.

Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back