Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server 2003, need to reset Admin Password, Restart NOT AN OPTION!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopnDude

IS-IT--Management
Oct 25, 2007
US
Pretty much what the Title States!

The Machine is a Citrix based XenServer ver 5.6 with 3 VM's running.

One VM is Windows Server 2003, it's just a Member Server not a Domain Controller. But there is a program on it, that about 70 computers REQUIRE access to in order to function!

The last two id10t's left me with little to no documentation. So I don't have any passwords for this machine except for the actual password for XenServer. But this does me no good! I need to find a way, or a utility to blank, change or tell me what the Admin password is on this machine.

I have to pull this Windows Server 2003 VM off of the Old Domain, to change it to the New Domain, but if I don't have the Local Admin password, I'm screwed! As well I haven't messed with the software much (Citrix and their XenServer) so I don't know if I can even boot up to a USB drive or CD.

Any links to software utilities, or help would be much appreciated!

It's not advised on here to talk about password cracking - either doing it or giving advice on "how to". There are plenty of resources out there to figure it out, but a reboot is required for ANYTHING to work that I've ever heard about or used.

Might be time to not service that client any longer as that sounds like an accident/trap waiting to happen OR start the CYA process if you actually work there. If you work there - man, do I feel sorry for you. I continue to be shocked and amazed at the incompetency level and/or lack of care and documentation there is out there at companies in their IT operations.

Well, I figured it out. I didn't need to crack it. I was able to reset it through my current Domain Admin user; however, now I have to figure out what setting I need to enable for it to allow me to remote in using the Admin user.

Yeah, everyone freaked out though. I removed the particular server from its GPO. Put it in the Domain Admin GPO, and removed the "allow log on to terminal services" from just IT to Admins / Domain Admins. Restarted the VM Server 2003 member. On the DC, I ran gpupdate in cmd. Then added "admin" to the allow log on locally in the Member server's secpol.msc. Done and done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back