Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server 2003, installing a firewall / proxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamhutton

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2002
US
I'm trying to find out what the best practices for installing an ISA server onto an existing 2003 domain.

I've currently got the dns setup to "example.server.com" address and need to add another server to act as a firewall.

Should I join it to the existing "example.server.com" domain as a member server? Or should I create another domain ("proxy.server.com" for example) and setup a domain trust between them.

I was told the later was better for security, but I'm not 100% sure on how to do it.

My goal is to allow the internet to come in on one computer that will act as a firewall/gateway, point incoming port 80 to a web server on the domain (not yet installed), and allow users of the domain (connecting to another server that is the domain controller, dns server, etc...) to access the internet.

Hopefully a little of this makes sense, I'm still new at setting all this up (obviously).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Adam

Win2K3 has a built in firewall much like XP. Look under metwork connections, advanced tab and you will find the firewall enable/disable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back