Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

server 2003 exchange 2003 new domain cable connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 8, 2003
US
I have one server I setup using server 2003 enterprise. This server was setup as a domain controller(rodge domain)and a dns server(just to learn about doing it). I use charter pipeline for my isp and have a static ip address which I use on my router(dlink). I use a 3com shark fin cable modem. Since then I bought a domain, stumbaugh_.org. I wasn't sure how to set it up though, so I built another server and put server 2003 and exchange 2003 on it and set it up as the stumbaugh domain controller and set it up as a dns server as well. However, I still have something wrong. I can't ping my domain. I do have ports 80, 110, and 25 forwarded to the exchange server. I also notice that the zone for stumbaugh_.org is not starting. I'm sure you need more info, but I really am pretty green at everything. If there is anything else I can provide, just ask.

Is your domain stumbaugh_.org or stumbaugh.org? (typo maybe)I found a record for stumbaugh.org but I need to know if this is yours.

yea, I usually throw in the underscores just to be safe. The domain name without the underscore is correct.

Looks like you have a few problems from what I can tell. webhostcompany.com is answering as you Sever of Authority. That name server needs to be configured. If you check out this link it will give you a list of your problems on your namesever . If youwant to run your onw DNS name server, then you will need to make changes with whoever you registered you domain with to point your names servers to you and not webhostcompany.com. Then you will need to open your firewall/router ports to allow your DNS traffic in and out. I personal wouldnt do that unless you want everyone to see all of your DNS records. Your better of using webhostcomapny.com. Once webhostcompany has the right records all traffic for stumbaugh.org will be forwarded to your servers ip address.

Here is a little information that will help you get going:
Record Types

An 'A' or 'Address' record ties a domain name to an IP address. If there is a server on the Internet that is configured to handle traffic for this domain, you can enter the name of the domain 8wire.net and the IP address of the server (for example '64.85.73.21') and your domain will point to that IP address.

Examples:
8wire.net A 64.85.73.21
A 64.85.73.21

A 'CNAME' or 'Common Name' creates an alias from a domain name to another. For example, you can create a CNAME from 'subdomain.8wire.net' to ' and every reference to 'subdomain.8wire.net' will go to ' regardless of how changes their IP addresses.
Please note that if you define a CNAME for one of your subdomains, there should be no A or MX record defined for that subdomain.

Examples:
8wire.net CNAME subdomain.8wire.net CNAME subdomain.8wire.net CNAME

An 'MX' or 'Mail Exchange' record is used to specify what server on the Internet is running e-mail software that is configured to handle e-mail for your domain. Additionally, if you define several MX records, the Priority lets you specify the order in which they should be tried. Mail servers with the lowest pritority will be tried first.

Examples:
8wire.net MX 0 mail1.8wire.net
8wire.net MX 5 mail2.8wire.net
subdomain.8wire.net MX 0 mail1.8wire.net
subdomain.8wire.net MX 5 mail2.8wire.net

An 'NS' or 'Name Server' record allows you to delegate one of your subdomains to other name servers. These other name servers are responsible for providing A, MX, etc. records for the delegated subdomain. Note that to change the NS records for your base domain name (8wire.net), you must do it through the domain's registrar. To change the name servers of domains of which we are the registrar, use the "update name servers" link on our main account management page.

Examples:
subdomain.8wire.net NS ns1.8wire.net
subdomain.8wire.net NS ns2.8wire.net

thanks neutec! Listen I do think I understand mx and a records, but how about forward lookup zones? On my original domain controller, I also installed dns and when I setup the second domain controller for stumbaugh.org, I added a forward lookup zone for stumbaugh.org. Do I need this? It doesn't work. If I click on the zone in the dns manager i get a message that the zone failed to load. I'm not sure of all the settings, but if I click properties, on the general tab there is a space to fill in the ip address for the zone file name, which address is it looking for? I also notice that on the same tab it says the zone is expired.

When you made this forward zone, did you select secondary zone? If so then the reason your newly created zone fail to load is zone transfers are not allowed from the primary name server. click on properties then select the zone transfer tab. type the ip on the server that you will be tranferring to. If webhostcompany.com is going to due your dns for that domain, then all you really need is a basic DNS for Win2k to run. Delete all your zone and create a new zone for your server. This name server will only server your inside lan. Let webhostcomapny server the outside. Much better security that way.

Neutec, thanks for all of your help. Okay, I do want webhostcompany to handle the dns, so how should my forward zone look? For start of authority, should I be using the webhostcompany server info? How about nameserver? For some reason I have 2 nameserver entries in this zone, one for the server hosting the website(on my LAN) and one for the webhostcompany server, yet they both(both ns records) have both of their ip's listed under start of authority. Right now I can get to the webpage if I use my ip address, but not by url. So, I know I have some dns info wrong somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back