Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server 2003: DNS disable recursion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmcc

IS-IT--Management
Jul 27, 2005
US
What is prompting this question is an email from a security person monitoring our network which indicated an "open DNS resolver infection".

The two Windows Server 2003 machines that constitute our one single domain (i.e. a forest of 1 domain) were cited. The email sounded like there was an imminent threat but these 2 servers have been operating well for over 6 years with no DNS problems. Perhaps it was just a new network monitoring tool that is being used that picked up this "new" issue now although our DNS config has not changed in years.

However, the suggestion is that I change the DNS option to DISABLE RECURSION to close a security hole. Windows adds the parenthetical statement that doing so "also disables forwarders).

My concern is that if I DISABLE DNS RECURSION, users will lose the current functionality in connecting to these servers (especially server A).

One Win 2003 server (server A) has 20 XP client PCs and they all use the internet. These 20 clients are configured in their Network TCP/IP Properties setup to use as the Preferred DNS server the main Server 2003 (first one installed-server A).
Their ALTERNATE DNS server address is one which specifies an ip address that points to the ISP outside of the domain to which they are connected.

Server B has no one explicitly logging into the domain but about 10 users access network shares on that server. In their case, they are not "part of the domain". They merely have an account on the domain where they have to be authenticated to access the network share.

FINALLY MY QUESTION:

Can anyone tell me (based upon my description of the two servers) that by changing the DNS option to "Disable recursion" is likely to affect either or both of those uses. If so, how?

(as you can no doubt tell my knowledge of how DNS works is quite limited).

Thanks in advance of any help...

Results of Disable recursion

I assume you have forwarders setup for access to the Internet, which is good, as your your DNS server will do DNS queries to a specific IPS server(s), which generally are well protected, with Anti virus/malware protection,black lists etc. Without forwarders your server can query any DNS server, including rougue servers, unprotected servers, so you want to forward. You should have multiple forwarders, at least 4, at least pointing to two different ISPs, as in rare instances a sole ISP has had issues which affect all their DNS servers, thus no Internet access.

You want your wks to only go to your internal preferred and alternate server, NOT to any external server for queries. For that matter, on my network setups I only open the DNS port on the firewall for the forwarder equipped internal servers, and disable the port to all other machines on the network. This way all wks can not query other DNS servers on the web. Even if you have the preferred and alternate DNS server settings on the WKSs pointing to internal DNS servers, malware/viruses can over ride the settings, causing redirection, so blocking the DNS port except for the forwarding server(s) stops this.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back