Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server 2003 and Win7 and roaming profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmack5

IS-IT--Management
Feb 2, 2005
US
I was hoping someone could shed some light on this topic. I have a problem with Windows 7 Pro workstations not functioning as expected when attempting to use roaming profiles in a server 2003 domain.

Some of my concerns are:

1. Roaming profiles do not automatically get created or sent to the 2003 server share. The roaming profile path has been specified for that user in Active Directory. The folder for the profile has already been created in Active Directory from the server with the proper user permissions. The profile folder is empty because the Windows 7 workstation should be sending the profile back to the server at log off. This doesn't happen... instead Windows 7 uses a temporary profile which it removes after logoff.

2. Populating the roaming profile on the server first by attempting to copy the Windows 7 profile is practically impossible. Why is this becoming such a difficult task? Roaming profiles have been around for ages. I have my all my networks running XP roaming profile without issues. You'd think Microsoft would have spent more time perfecting these features not making them harder to use.

2. I am also aware that XP profiles and windows 7 profiles are completely different (V1 vs V2) and cannot be switched around. All I am trying to achieve is creating a new windows 7 profile in a 2003 Domain and the task seems impossible.

3. I want people to be able to login to both XP and Win7 computers, so I'm not looking to just create one profile; it looks like I need to have 2 profiles on the server: \username and \username.V2

THOUGHTS

Step 1: Create both profiles
I was thinking that I could use the whitepaper shown here to create both V1 and V2 profiles on the server:
I would need the NEXT link to help with the process of copying the Win7 profile to this older 2003 server, as there appears to be some difficulty with this process and Win7...and the whitepaper was written in the days of Vista:

Step 2: Folder Redirection
According to page 20 on the whitepaper, I should be able to create folder redirects using group policy and therefore remove any issues with missing/lost data between the two V1 and V2 profiles. I could set this up for the desktop, mydocuments, and up to 8 other (10 total) personal folders.

Does this sound...sound?

I'm rather new to Domain management, so before I went ahead and dove in I thought I would post my thoughts here before I proceed. If there is a good guide for dealing with this instance I'm all ears! I'm learning a lot as I go.

Thanks,

jMack

Hi jMack,

I'm having the same problem with users with windows 7 pro and windows server 2003 AD. I googled and found some saying you need to have a Windows server 2008 as domain controller. I didn't have the chance to test if it works but I need to be sure if that is really the solution. I also need to upgrade the schema before I can install a windows 2008 domain controller.

Matthijs

In the eventviewer i got event-id: 1521
I checked the rights on the profile folder. Check the sharing permissions of the share on the folder then ensure that NTFS permissions are propegated down the tree. - Replace permission entries on all child objects... - that's what i probably forgot... :p
I my case the user now has full control and is the owner of his profile folder.

Now the profile is loaded and saved correctly.

--
sorry for my bad english, i'm dutch

Greetz,

Matthijs de Haan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back