Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server 2003 adding icons to desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

xyorkie

Technical User
Nov 20, 2002
AU
Have a small School network Server 2003 with two groups, Staff and Students. I have installed a program on the server and have a shortcut icon on the Administrators desktop. How can I put this on the staff desktop.

Is it a terminal server?
I would probably do it via login scripts - have the script for group membership and then copy the shortcuts to the desktop from a central place - ie as below (from my login script - its Kix)

; PUT SHORTCUTS ON USERS DESKTOP
SHELL '@LSERVER\NETLOGON\robocopy /purge /r:0 "@LSERVER\NETLOGON\Shortcut" "%UserProfile%\Desktop" "*.*"'

You will find that the shortcut lives in c:\documents and settings\adminsitrator\desktop, if you copied it to c:\documents and settings\all users\desktop it would appear on everyones desktop for example (if it was a terminal server).

With a little more info we can probably point you in the right direction.

Terry,

It is a domain server running windows server2003, the workstations are all windows XP. Have not set up any roaming profiles as yet.

Server was running NT4 with Win98se workstations.Formatted server drives fresh install of server 2003 installed with workstations running XP(steep learning curve for me as a newbie to networking).

Any help would be appreciated

xyorkie

Are the groups in AD? If so I would do the following in my login script:

DO
$GROUP = EnumGroup($Index)

SELECT

CASE $GROUP="DOMAIN\ADMIN"
SHELL '@LSERVER\NETLOGON\robocopy /purge /r:0 "@LSERVER\NETLOGON\AdminShortcuts" "%UserProfile%\Desktop" "*.*"'

CASE $GROUP="DOMAIN\STUDENT"
SHELL '@LSERVER\NETLOGON\robocopy /purge /r:0 "@LSERVER\NETLOGON\StudentShortcuts" "%UserProfile%\Desktop" "*.*"'

EndSelect
$Index = $Index + 1
Until Len($Group) = 0

The script above is a KIX Script; you may need to modify for whatever login solution you use.
Then copy the shortcuts to the StudentShotcuts adn AdminShotcuts folders on your netlogon share.

This should copy the shortcuts onto the users desktop.

Kix is an add on tool called kix32; google it. Robocopy is a tool from the NT resource kit, google it to find somewhere to download it.

Terry,

Are the groups in AD?. What is AD?.

Have a simple login script

rem @echo off
echo.
echo.
echo Logging on to Curriculum Server
echo.
echo.
net time \\server /set /yes
echo.
echo.

net user * /d /yes

net use h: \\server\staff\%username% / yes

net use I: \\server\students / yes

net use j: \\server\public / yes

net use s: \\server\students\student

Michael

AD is Active Directory. Do you use it? If so you need to create some groups in it to distinguish between staff and students; let me know if you do or not and we will go from there.

xyorkie,
Currently, how are people logging into the XP machines that you have out there? You stated that you have a domain, but do not know what Active Directory (AD) is?

You may need to get the below book, it will help you out immensely:

As far as a script to place things on desktops, you can find any type of script here:

Terry,

Yes the server is using Active Directory Users & Computers and I have set up two groups a Staff group and a Students group.

Michael

Are your machines set to login to the domain - ie for each user do they have the login script specified in their profile tab?

I would perhaps change your login script like this

REM Setup common to all users
net user * /d /yes
net use j: \\server\public / yes

IFMEMBER Staff
if errorlevel 1 goto StaffLogin

IFMEMBER Students
if errorlevel 1 goto StudentLogin
GOTO LoginEnd

:StaffLogin
REM Setup common for Admin staff only
net use h: \\server\staff\%username% / yes
GOTO LoginEnd

:StudentLogin
REM Setup common for Students only
net use I: \\server\students / yes
net use s: \\server\students\student
GOTO LoginEnd

:LoginEnd
REM END ****************************

Get ifmember.exe from

- Install it and copy it to your netlogon share

Once you get this working, then you can do flasher things like copy shortcuts etc.

Terry,

Users log into domain, all users use the same login script as in the simple login script.

Will try your suggested script file and download ifmember.exe.

Regards
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back