Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server 2000 VPN Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

glider03

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2004
On the 2000 Server forum I asked about setting up our network. The advice I got was to install 2000 Server on our Server computer (currently using 2000 Pro which is on all of our computers), Let the DSL asign all computers including the server an IP using DCHP from the Modem. We currently use a 3com SuperStack II 24 port, hub which allows all computers (10 or so)to access the internet and the Peer to peer file sharing network.

Once the Server 2000 is runing I will set up 3 domains.

We have a new office in a town with a single phone company which will not allow any other IPS company or cable company to supply internet access. So we are using them for the one computer we have there. It may eventually have 4 to 6 computers. That office uses a DSL with DCHP supplied by the ISP.

What I would like to do is set up the Network server and install a VPN server on it. Allow the Offsite office to connect to the VPN Server using the Main office DSL static IP.

My questions is this; in using the hub for the main office network, will the incoming VPN "call for connection" make it to the Server which will ask for a password to make the connection. After that connection is made the offsite office will be asked to log on to a domain with another password requirement.

Finally, will we be able to do this without special help from our ISP. What requirements are there for Subnets, gateway, etc. We are using Zone alarm on all computers for firewalls and since the incoming call will not have a static IP, I not sure how to get it through unless I can do it with subnet mask. I can let the whole IP range for the Offsite ISP though but that seems risky. We don't have the resources to obtain firmware firewalls.

Any help or advise you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'll be glad to provide you with more information. I have had great success using your site in the past and think it's best the help site on the web.

Thanks,
Mike

Firewalling at workstation level is not advised.

There are good modem/router/firewall solutions with gateway to gateway and client to gateway tunneling capabilities, offering medium to good protection, available for small busineses in the $250-500 range. One example is ZyXel, but there are many more to choose from.

this way you can turn off all workstation firewalls and let everything be a piece of cake. VPN connections are automatically routed and both sites are connected as if they are physically in the same building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back