Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server 2000 IIS DNS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hermes418

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2005
US
I've got a client with a situation I've never handled before; they've had a third party handling their web hosting and email on a domain Now they want to start running IIS and Exchange on their own server 2000 PDC, but they have a large AD set up on the name differentname.com. Will I be able to do this without removing and recreating their DNS as companyname.com? I've done this sort of thing before, but usually I'm setting up DNS for the client for the first time and therefore have no name resolution problems.

They don't want to run a web site and Exchange server on the root AD server for their production domain (assuming that both email and web would be externally facing). That would be a serious security risk. At the very least they will need a new domain name set up in their AD forest with trusts between the two domains.

I understand it is a security risk--but this client is bound and determined, and I've learned to just go along. So, how would one alias Exhange to the current users? And will IIS work in this manner?

Thanks

The Exchange part is relatively simple but very time consuming.

Set up your Exchange server to handle mails for both old and new domains. Get the MX record changed for the old domain to point to your new exchange server, then add the user@old_domain.com SMTP address to each user as required.

There is no easy way to add the user smtp addresses in bulk, so it has to be done individually. Depending on your user head count it could take a while.

As an aside, I totally agree with kmcferrin - if the client is bound and determined and wants to put his domain at risk, then you can expect either a lot of work or a lot of headaches...I think I'd walk or try to be persuasive - show him these posts for a start...

Hope this helps

MD

You could probably do some ADSI scripting to add the SMTP addresses automatically. Also you can create a recipient policy in Exchange to automatically generate the correct SMTP addresses, as long as the "Automatically update email addresses based on recipient policy" is checked on the Email Addresses tab in Active Directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back